Dispatches from Suburbia

If I played an instrument, I would have a band called "The Simon Thomsen Sex Tape"; and other musings, rants, and disconnected ramblings.

Sunday, February 25, 2007

A Cigar is a Cigar

Quote of the Day: "This is the first baby born in 18 years and you want to name it Froley?"
-Children of Men

Yesterday afternoon, at a wine tasting, conversation turned to cigars. I like cigars, though I don't know a thing about them. I think I find the appeal in the process: clipping off the tip, lighting it, and spending the next half-hour or so puffing away.

Cigar smoking, because they take so long to finish, is a way of forcing yourself to take a break. Once you've lit it, you know you're going to be there for a while. It's actually like a bottle of fine red wine--once it's been opened, it's necessary to spend the time finishing it, or else it goes to waste.

You sit their, brain stimulated by the tobacco and nicotine, but there isn't a lot you can do but think or converse. Once you've gotten into the cigar, you settle in, you embrace the stillness, the time you've set aside, and it is quite enjoyable.

Of course, depending on the cigar, a brushing of the teeth and a shower is often required afterwards, when you must reacquaint yourself with the world after your short respite. But it's totally worth it.

2 Comments:

At 1:35 AM, Blogger ShadowFalcon said...

Um I'm a non-smoker so this is lost on my alas....

(p.s I did like that bit in Children of Men)

 
At 5:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you know Cigars cause cancer faster than cigarettes? It is cancer of the mouth, and not pretty. I work in a dental office and have seen it. Be very careful. The wine is OK, though! ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home