Dispatches from Suburbia

If I played an instrument, I would have a band called "The Simon Thomsen Sex Tape"; and other musings, rants, and disconnected ramblings.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Vulnerability

Quote of the Day: "We shouldn't be attacking the vulnerable."
-Craig Ferguson

In my film theory class, the audience is often compared to the voyeur and somewhat of a sado-masochist, watching others in conflict. It's something similar (and completely inexplicable) that drives us to watch September 11 footage over and over, to slow down when we pass a car wreck.

Is this why we're so compelled by Britney Spears, who has shaven her head and checked into rehab? We all saw this coming. We knew it was inevitable. We've reached the climax, the third act. Her story has become a predictable melodrama.

I really want to poke fun at the girl, but I find myself agreeing with Late Late Night host
Craig Ferguson. She's vulnerable, and in a unique situation. I still think she's an idiot, don't get me wrong, but at least she's honest enough to check into rehab.

I can't wait for her to sober up though, and lose that vulnerability, because then I have every right to poke fun at her. As for now, at the height of her breakdown, I hate to admit that I like her pain. You do too. We may have to bite the bullet and wish her good luck.

1 Comments:

At 4:16 PM, Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

God, what a bizarre situation -- I feel for her. What else can you do? Things are not good there -- all the money in the world can't make you feel okay, I suppose. I'd like to give it a try, though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home