Dispatches from Suburbia

If I played an instrument, I would have a band called "The Simon Thomsen Sex Tape"; and other musings, rants, and disconnected ramblings.

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Raw Pancakes

Quote of the Day: "The man who said 'I'd rather be lucky than good' saw deeply into life. People are afraid to face how great a part of life is dependent on luck. It's scary to think so much is out of one's control. There are moments in a match when the ball hits the top of the net, and for a split second, it can either go forward or fall back. With a little luck, it goes forward, and you win. Or maybe it doesn't, and you lose."
-Match Point

Recently, two of my kitchen managers were fired. Food costs were too high, the kitchen was falling apart, and nothing was going right. They had to take the fall.

Today, I discovered that one of those managers really didn't like me. Adrian, a coworker from Guadalajara, said to me today, "Si, he no like you."

This left me wondering why. Why would somebody not like me? Was it because he was my supervisor, yet I had to correct him all the time? "Dude, stop sending out raw pancakes!"

Not that this really bugs me that much. At least I still have my job, bucko.

Simon's Current Obsessions:


The Departed
my DVD finally came in the mail. I'll probably watch it about 17 times this weekend. Then I'll fall behind on my blog and my homework. But it's totally worth it.











The Magic Kingdom
by Stanley Elkin

This book, which is even more death obsessed than The Departed, is phenomenal. If anybody can construct a sentence, it's Elkin.








3 Comments:

At 9:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Clearly, he doesn't like you because he's just a big idiot. That said, nobody likes to hear that somebody doesn't like them, even if they didn't like that person to begin with ...

 
At 5:03 AM, Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

Both of your book and movie recs are great! As for someone not liking you, what a jerk! Love the Matchpoint quote -- I've seen that movie about a million times on dvd now.

 
At 7:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simon-
You wonder why he didn't like you!? Maybe it's because of the painfully strange/inappropriate things you say to everyone!

Just kidding.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home