Dispatches from Suburbia

If I played an instrument, I would have a band called "The Simon Thomsen Sex Tape"; and other musings, rants, and disconnected ramblings.

Friday, February 09, 2007

Gettin' Clipped


Quote of the Day: "Leave the gun. Take the cannolis."
-The Godfather

To benefit the Albuquerque Children's Hospital, the Lobo Theater has been hosting an Italian Film Festival. Last night, my brother and I were lucky enough to attend a screening of The Godfather. There is no better place to view this film--the theater is very old, and upstairs is a balcony and a pair of ancient bathrooms with slender, knobless doors and red and white tiles. What's really odd is that the bathroom looks almost identical to the one in which Michael Corleone must find the gun hidden behind the toilet. This theater has a certain 1930s or 40s elegance totally reminiscent of The Godfather's Gangland Elite atmosphere.

When we arrived, outside of the theater we noticed a glass door splattered with red paint, and we commented on the splatter's similarity to the countless blood splatters on my favorite film of 2006, The Departed. We laughed.

Leaving the theater, looking over our shoulders in the dark and, fueled by The Godfather's plot of paranoia and betrayal, we eyed that same splatter with far more caution. Before we got in the car, I think we both peeked into the backseat to be sure nobody was waiting with a piano wire.

2 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, Blogger Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

In Michigan we don't have theaters where classics are replayed. At one time the Redford theater allowed me to watch "Harvey", "It Happened One Night", and a few others I won't mention here...my point is that there is nothing like seeing these films as they were meant to be seen (uninterrupted on a large screen). I remember going to a double bill: "Casablanca" and "Play It Again Sam". I had seen Casablanca many times before that, but writ large on the screen...I was mesmerized.

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

Old films are the best, especially when nobody is in your backseat with a garrotte.

The Godfather is great, but "Casablanca" is my favorite movie of all time. I don't know how many times I've seen it, and I know every line. It never gets old.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home