Dispatches from Suburbia

If I played an instrument, I would have a band called "The Simon Thomsen Sex Tape"; and other musings, rants, and disconnected ramblings.

Friday, February 02, 2007

The Fine Line Between Homage and Blatant Rip-Off




















Quote of the Day: "No, now I'm recording Tony fucking Wilson."
Marin Hannett, 24 Hour Party People

Remember that really bad Jet song, “Look What You’ve Done,” from a couple of years ago? (Yeah, I know, this post is a bit outdated, but while the song has been around for a couple of years, my blog has only been here for a few months).

Anyway, the song is lame and goes something like this:

Take my photo off the wall
If it just won't sing for you
'Cause all that's left has gone away
And there's nothing there for you to prove

Oh, look what you've done
You've made a fool of everyone
Oh well, it seems like such fun
Until you lose what you had won

Give me back my point of view
'Cause I just can't think for you
I can hardly hear you say
What should I do, well you choose

Oh, look what you've done
You've made a fool of everyone
Oh well, it seems like such fun
Until you lose what you had won

Oh, look what you've done
You've made a fool of everyone
A fool of everyone
A fool of everyone

Take my photo off the wall
If it just won't sing for you
'Cause all that's left has gone away
And there's nothing there for you to do

Oh, look what you've done
You've made a fool of everyone
Oh well, it seems like such fun
Until you lose what you had won

Oh, look what you've done
You've made a fool of everyone
A fool of everyone
A fool of everyone

Does that seem familiar? Especially the part that goes “Oh, look what you’ve done/ You’ve made a fool of everyone”? Wait a second, that does ring a bell:

Sexy Sadie what have you done
You made a fool of everyone
You made a fool of everyone
Sexy Sadie ooh what have you done.

Sexy Sadie you broke the rules
You laid it down for all to see
You laid it down for all to see
Sexy Sadie oooh you broke the rules.

One sunny day the world was waiting for a lover
She came along to turn on everyone
Sexy Sadie the greatest of them all.

Sexy Sadie how did you know
The world was waiting just for you
The world was waiting just for you
Sexy Sadie oooh how did you know.

Sexy Sadie you'll get yours yet
However big you think you are
However big you think you are
Sexy Sadie oooh you'll get yours yet.

We gave her everything we owned just to sit at her table
Just a smile would lighten everything
Sexy Sadie she's the latest and the greatest of them all.

She made a fool of everyone
Sexy Sadie.

However big you think you are
Sexy Sadie.

You may notice, however, that the Beatle lyrics are much more involving, poetic, and moving (One sunny day the world was waiting for a lover/ She came along to turn on everyone) than the amateurish crap churned out by Jet (“Give me back my point of view/
'Cause I just can't think for you).

And, the Jet song sounds almost exactly like the Beatles one, except that Jet’s rip-off is more shoddy and very little, if any, talent shows through.

For some reason, I felt the need to vent tonight, and I found a victim in Jet. Sorry fellas.

But seriously, guys, this could've all been avoided if any one of you had an original bone in your body.


4 Comments:

At 7:36 PM, Blogger Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

Some lyricists today have tremendous talent. I love Coldplay's lyrics. Another lyricist that is often overlooked, perhaps because the group isn't exactly prolific, or maybe even together now, is the guy who wrote for Counting Crow. I thought that lyrically they gave us amazing songs.

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Danny Tagalog said...

Jet need the panning you gave them. Perhaps the boiling treatment should be handed to the lyricist, not the lobster of yesterday...

 
At 4:44 AM, Blogger Drizel said...

Gosh......I hate rip offs, even that one Madonna song starts like an ABBA song(OK ABBA, metal chick knows it, my parents are fans)....can no one come up with original lyrics or melodies anymore....deary me!

But also I must add, here and there hope appears..I love SEETHER lyrics.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Library Diva said...

The whole fucking album is like that. I bought it after hearing "Cold Hard Bitch" one night on MTV. I was feeling like I needed some new music, so I gave this a shot. It's not bad, but the whole album sounds like 60's British Invasion bands.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home