Dispatches from Suburbia

If I played an instrument, I would have a band called "The Simon Thomsen Sex Tape"; and other musings, rants, and disconnected ramblings.

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Screams from the Kitchen

(There is a "Far Side" that involves cooking a lobster and is much more pertinent to this post, but I couldn't find it on the net. But I do like this one--at least it involves seafood)

Quote of the Day: "Annie, there's a big lobster behind the refrigerator. I can't get it out. This thing's heavy. Maybe if I put a little dish of butter sauce here with a nutcracker, it will run out the other side."
-Alvy Singer, Annie Hall

I've decided on our Valentine's Day dinner. We'd originally planned on an expensive restaurant, perhaps followed by a movie. No gifts, just lots of money spent on a meal. But we came to realize that we wanted to do something different. Well, I've never cooked a live lobster. Dinner will be at home this year.

I can't wait to bring the lobster home. I'm looking forward to my dachsund's reaction to the giant cockroach. That should be entertaining.

If you haven't already, check out David Foster Wallace's essay "Consider the Lobster," a wonderful piece on the cooking method of boiling the animal alive. I've heard they scream.

Hopefully, after hearing the screams, we don't decide that maybe lobsters for dinner might be a bad idea. Hopefully we won't say, a la Putty from Seinfeld, "Feels like an Arby's night."

4 Comments:

At 12:41 AM, Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

Good luck with the lobsters! I LOVE that scene from Annie Hall. One of my favorite movies ever!

 
At 1:48 AM, Blogger ShadowFalcon said...

You know lobsters mate for life...very apt for valentines..

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Simon! It's great to hear from you. Awesome material here!

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger mist1 said...

Please, don't ruin lobster for me. I already have a hard time with how much they look like bugs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home