Dispatches from Suburbia

If I played an instrument, I would have a band called "The Simon Thomsen Sex Tape"; and other musings, rants, and disconnected ramblings.

Monday, January 22, 2007

Damage


Quote of the Day: "You could put walls around this place and call it an insane asylum."
-Seinfeld (the quote goes something like that, but maybe not exactly. It's the part that Jerry is talking about his parents apartment complex, Del Boca Vista)

Last night, I watched Jackass #2. This is one of those movies that one is ashamed to admit he saw and even more ashamed to admit that he laughed.

What can I say? It wasn't The Godfather, but it wasn't meant to be. Lots of pain, lots of sophomoric chuckling. What I find shocking is that, while Steve Irwin died in a freak encounter with a stingray, Steve-o can put a fish hook through his cheek and swim with a bunch of hammerheads and not even lose a limb.

What's really fun is to try to look deeper into these guys, which sounds impossible when you're dealing with a bunch of giggling, well, jackasses. But they have to be torn up and damaged inside, emotionally, that is, to engage in such self-destructive behavior. You want to take a hold of them and say, to quote Heathers, "what's your damage?!"

These guys are complete morons, but its fun watch them in their idiocy. Still, everything's fun and games until somebody gets killed. Honestly, was anybody all that surprised when Steve Irwin died in his his line of work?

6 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, Blogger mist1 said...

I don't care what people say. I love these movies. I am not the picture of culture and refinement, so I suppose it's okay.

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger JR's Thumbprints said...

I haven't seen either Jackass, 1 or 2. I do recall watching a special on 60 Minutes or 20/20 about someone videotaping and selling "Bum Fighting" for profit. Something about coaxing homeless people into fighting each other for booze or money. I think I'd rather see those Jackasses.

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger Drizel said...

I haven't seen nr two, I think number one was too much for me....hihihi.....gosh....on the TV show I could stand if they ate funny stuff, and puke.......eeeeewwwwww....hihihihih

 
At 5:41 AM, Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

I've never seen one of the films, but I get the appeal in that boys can be boys sort of way.

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Erik Donald France said...

Sounds whacky :-> What ever happened to Siegfried, Roy and that lion (or was it tiger?), by the way? And isn't a sequel to Heathers in the pipeline? As for death by stingray, nothing seems surprising in the twenty-first century. The whole world seems like an insane asylum! Let me out ;) Beam me outta here, Jerry!

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

"No thanks, I gotta motor if i want to make it to that funeral on time."

Haha classic. I wanna watch Heathers again...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home