Dispatches from Suburbia

If I played an instrument, I would have a band called "The Simon Thomsen Sex Tape"; and other musings, rants, and disconnected ramblings.

Monday, January 29, 2007

OK, This Semester Needs to End Already


Quote of the Day: "There can be no understanding between the hand and the brain unless the heart acts as mediator. "
-Maria, Metropolis

Tonight was my second class session of film theory. Already, I'm terrified. I'm an English major, and yet, of all the classes I've taken, the one that requires the largest vocabulary is film theory.

Everything is vague and abstract and incredibly complex. In our syllabus, my professor recommends that we have a Dictionary handy. Sure, that'll fit in my backpack with my multitude of binders, spirals notebooks, and books for my literature classes (including a Bible).

At least now I know how the architecture on Fritz Lang's Metropolis reflects Marxist ideals, or how the movement of the workers was admired by Hitler. In case anybody's wondering, I can now rattle off a whole bunch of film theorist analyses of this silent film that really bores the tears out of most contemporary audiences. Hopefully, Metropolis doesn't come up in conversation at a party. I'd be a total buzzkill. Maybe that's why I don't get invited to parties anymore.

Yes, the class will teach me a lot and yes, I will probably gain some sort of personal growth and blah blah blah. Too bad I will never be able to sit somebody down, show them Metropolis, and explain all of the nuances. Hell, the only reason I watched the film is because my film theory class completes my minor.

3 Comments:

At 2:57 AM, Blogger JR's Thumbprints said...

My wife tried to talk me into taking a film theory class the last time I had to update my teaching certificate. I may just do that the next time my certificate expires. All I have to do is watch the films right? And then they'll give me the credit right?

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger ZZZZZZZ said...

I'm sorry that your film class sucks. I have been so busy with my fitness class because it is only an 8 week course and my other class is a 16 week course. Whoever decided that fitness should not only be cardio and weight lifting, but book work and quizes too should burn in hell. hehe

 
At 11:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Metropolis.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home