Dispatches from Suburbia

If I played an instrument, I would have a band called "The Simon Thomsen Sex Tape"; and other musings, rants, and disconnected ramblings.

Saturday, February 03, 2007

A Very Pleasant Surprise

(This picture is from the "Random Photo File" and has nothing to do with the following post. So don't be startled when you realize that what you're reading has nothing to do with sailing, or vacationing, or the Mexican sea captain in a visor and a dirty shirt, or the guy in a gray polo trying to figure out his camera, or Simon looking terribly sunburned and seasick. -S)

Quote of the Day: "It tastes like the back of a fucking L.A. school bus. Now they probably didn't de-stem, hoping for some semblance of concentration, crushed it up with leaves and mice, and then wound up with this rancid tar and turpentine bullshit. Fuckin' Raid."
-Miles Raymond, Sideways

Since I must arrive to work at 5 a.m. every Saturday and Sunday, I've basically given up the nightlife activities of a college senior, that is unless I want to show up to work unshaven, useless, and still pretty tossed.

If I do some heavy drinking on Friday or Saturday nights, it must be done before 9 (10 at the latest), which is when I go to bed. Since I don't start school until noon on Mondays, I can actually stay up late on Sunday nights--which is unfortunate because at this time everybody else is catching up on sleep that they've lost over the weekend. Luckily, tomorrow's Superbowl Sunday, in case you were unaware, which means that I have an excuse to get tipsy and even be social for once, even though I don't really watch football. I don't even know who's playing. Whatever. Game on!

We went to the nearby liquor store today to stock up on beer. I love this place--it's not a seedy, run-down joint, but a rather quaint (but with a large selection) store run by some pleasant Koreans. We noticed that, in the corner of the store, was this shorter guy pouring wine for and chitchatting with customer. It turns out that every Friday and Saturday, in the afternoon (those are my preferred drinking hours), there is a wine tasting at this liquor store.

I don't know much about wines, and I'm not about to pretend that I do. I hate how everybody that has ever seen Sideways suddenly thinks that they're a wine expert: "Uh, do you happen to have a Peenit Noyr?" Still, I can at least pretend on Fridays and Saturdays and enjoy afternoons of free wine. Game on!

6 Comments:

At 7:14 PM, Blogger Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

This post cracked me up, especially the last paragraph. However, here is why I keep coming back to your blog:

We went to the nearby liquor store today to stock up on beer. I love this place--it's not a seedy, run-down joint, but a rather quaint (but with a large selection) store run by some pleasant Koreans. We noticed that, in the corner of the store, was this shorter guy pouring wine for and chitchatting with customer. It turns out that every Friday and Saturday, in the afternoon (those are my preferred drinking hours), there is a wine tasting at this liquor store.

That paragraph is wonderful. I love your writing. It's so crisp. You have a way of selecting the perfect images to convey a scene and a mood.

Just wanted to let you know.

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Bird on a Wire said...

Stewart-
Thanks for the kind words!

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger JR's Thumbprints said...

I'm not much of a wine drinker. Once in awhile I'll purchase a box of it from Sam's warehouse.

 
At 5:27 AM, Blogger Drizel said...

Wine wacks me for a six(cricket term, seeing you don't watch superbowl, I also know nothing about cricker, will still use the phrase...moving on)...So even If you do not know wine do it for the buzz, we all love a good buzz.:)

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Erik Donald France said...

Isn't wine for married folks?

Hehe.

Excellent post, beautiful details (as Stewart noted).

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger hyacinths and biscuits said...

I don't have class until 1pm on Mondays. I still manage to sleep through it quite often. Why else would I be commenting on your blog at 1:15 on a Monday afternoon?

Okay, to be fair, I've been sick lately.

But secretly, I've already slept through it a couple times when I haven't been sick.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home