Dispatches from Suburbia

If I played an instrument, I would have a band called "The Simon Thomsen Sex Tape"; and other musings, rants, and disconnected ramblings.

Monday, February 19, 2007

Sleep is Overrated


Quote of the Day: "The only people that make love all the time are liars."
-Gigi

As you may know, I go to work at 5 a.m. I do this four days a week, about 35 hours altogether. During the other three days of the week I spend 18 hours in class. During the time in between I (try to) do homework.

Of course, somewhere in there I try to pack in what little social life I have, my time with Kim, my family time, my me time. I don't sleep anymore.

I need to get up 7 hours from now, which isn't so bad considering the maybe 5 or 6, often 4 hours that I usually end up getting. Much of my sleep isn't really even sleep--my mind continues to race after I shut off the lights and this has made night and day into indistinguishable static. I feel like I've been robbed, as if I'm coming down from a drug binge, but I missed out on the high.

I've had to decide into which area I need to allot my mental energy: work or school. Since I'm in school, I won't always need my current job. My mental energy is being stored up during my work days and expelled in class. I suppose it's a wise decision.

But I need a time for my brain to stop altogether--I really need my sleep. Or do I? Maybe not. Sleep is for sissies. Night time is for us caffeine loyalists anyway.

4 Comments:

At 10:05 PM, Blogger Danny Tagalog said...

A recent article on the BBC is food for thought

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6347043.stm

But I guess, having TOO MUCH sleep is just as bad - I'm sure I reaf that somewhere too...

Hope you start getting six hours at minimum soon though...

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger mist1 said...

I need my sleep. Every few years, I go through a period of insomnia. One time, I woke up driving my grandma to the senior center for her ceramics class. I got medicated. Lack of sleep is dangerous.

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

STOP DRINKING COFFEE!!!!!!

 
At 10:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The person who posted "stop drinking coffee" needs an award. It's an addiction, my dear and you do need your sleep. It's the only way our bodies and brain can re-boot. Trust me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home