Dispatches from Suburbia

If I played an instrument, I would have a band called "The Simon Thomsen Sex Tape"; and other musings, rants, and disconnected ramblings.

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Porcelain Trees


“Conversation about the weather is the last refuge of the unimaginative.”

-Oscar Wilde
I must be unimaginative, because this is my third recent post about the weather.
If you are one of those folks that lives in a part of the country that gets tons of snow, I don't know how you stand it. This weekend, Albuquerque looked like the opening shot in Fargo.

Last night, Albuquerque received over a foot of snow. I've never seen so much snow, and I've never had to dig my car out with a shovel. Plus, New Mexicans, including me, are incapable of gracefully driving on the icy roads.

This didn't stop my place of employment, Flying Star restaurant, from opening for business, despite the fact that the rest of Albuquerque followed Denver's example and completely shut down. Half of the restaurant staff didn't even show up, while the rest of us resented every single customer that walked through the door. It didn't help my attitude that many of these customers ended up stuck in our parking lot and we had to help push their cars out of the lot. They had to go out to eat because...? I can imagine these yuppie couples in their homes, panicking at the sight of snow. "My God!" the husband might say. "It's snowing and we don't know how to cook! If we don't get to Flying Star soon, we might have to eat the kids!"

Still, absence makes the heart grow fonder, and I do enjoy way the snow cover makes everything, from the tree branches to the roads to the homes homes, look as delicate as white porcelain. But I've seen enough, and I'm ready for the sun to return.

4 Comments:

At 8:05 PM, Blogger Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

Ah snow. I remember a couple years ago when Port Huron, Michigan, where I was living got pelted by over a foot of snow. What made it so bizarre is that it was before Thanksgiving and it was the only town in Michigan to get hit with snow that way. Once you were outside town, the roads were fine and the grass plainly visible. Freakish.

Someday soon I hope to move from Michigan and go somewhere where winter means cooler weather but little to no snow. And no ice.

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Danny Tagalog said...

Pass some over to Tokyo. We had some on high ground last year, but not one flake has fallen so far.

AS a kid I saw lots back home, but none here. I miss the beauty of thick blankets of snow..

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Erik Donald France said...

Happy 2007, dudes! Where I am, it's about thirty degrees F. above "normal." Global Warming means freakish is the new normal, I guess. Good luck under "State of Disaster," Simon. Salud, E'

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Laura said...

So far this season, we have yet to get any accumulation of snow. But I know It'll be coming eventually. In Michigan, we never know what the weather will be like and as michigander's say, "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes and it will change." So far this season, I'm liking it. Sorry to hear about the heavy snows that have fallen your way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home