Dispatches from Suburbia

If I played an instrument, I would have a band called "The Simon Thomsen Sex Tape"; and other musings, rants, and disconnected ramblings.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Let it snow


"How'd ya like to hang a stocking on a great big coconut tree?"
-"Christmas Island"

Well, today Albuquerque was given a heavy coating of snow. It was gorgeous and welcomed, but it still comes at a price. We live in a desert. For us, driving in the snow is like an amateur juggling chef's knives.

On my parents' street, today I saw a woman in a Nissan Xterra fishtailing from one side of the street to the other. Her face was as pale as the snow, and she gripped the wheel as if she was on a carnival ride. And, though the street was icy, it wasn't that icy. I hope she made it home.

Luckily, I'm on Christmas break and today was my day off from work. Kim works at a middle school, and since they were closed she too had the day off.

We started the day by going for a long walk and gawking at the snow. Those of you from an area that gets tons of snow may think this is silly, but for us this is pretty much our one annual snowfall. We've gotta enjoy it while we can (we do the same thing on the rare occasion that it actually rains).

Then, after my dachsund chewed up my only beanie, we braved the roads and went to REI for a new one. We survived, and were even able to run a couple of errands.

We returned home, made some chai, and watched Little Miss Sunshine. A perfect snow day. We might as well enjoy this until the sun returns.

Unfortunately, the roads are growing worse tonight (they are supposed to freeze over) and my brother is still required to go to work. We're still not sure why--he works at Ben and Jerry's.

8 Comments:

At 6:10 PM, Blogger mist1 said...

I loved that movie.

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You live in New Mexico and YOU GOT SOME SNOW??? Dang. Argh.

 
At 1:55 AM, Blogger ShadowFalcon said...

I love long walks in the snow, I lived in the main building at uni (a castle) and during x-mas break the place was desserted then one morning you would wake up in a winter fairy tale all to yourself.

 
At 3:02 AM, Blogger JR's Thumbprints said...

Snow? What's that? I live in Michigan and have yet to see snow this year.

 
At 5:02 AM, Blogger Erik Donald France said...

Good luck in the snowy desert. A bunch of people are stranded in De-troit b/c of the blizzard around Denver. Here only rain. Global gonzo! As for Little Miss Sunshine, any movie that mentions Marcel Proust deserves high kudos ;)

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

Yes, JR and I live in Michigan, and I want to amend his statement..."We are BLESSED to have had no snow so far this winter, and if God is good, whoever she is, may we continue to have no snow in Michigan. Period. And may palm trees start shooting up in my yard. And may native women with long legs and tan skin come to my door and ask to borrow a cup of sugar.

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

I love the snow! As a native Texan, I have never gotten over its beauty. Love Little Miss Sunshine!

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Desert snow, very interesting. We have not had the pleasure of seeing December snow yet here in Michigan. I wish we could at least get a little snow for Christmas, but I doubt if we will. Hope you had a great snow day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home