Dispatches from Suburbia

If I played an instrument, I would have a band called "The Simon Thomsen Sex Tape"; and other musings, rants, and disconnected ramblings.

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Coworkers and customers are evil and hateful.


Dante: "You hate people."
Randal: "I know. I hate people, but I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
-Clerks


Recently, my manager called my coworker a "pervert." I laughed because it was kind of funny. Said coworker, however, did not. We'll call him "James." Anyway, James threatened to call an attorney because his friend's dad told him that he could possibly get $100,000 from our employer due to our manager's comment.


Keep in mind that I work on a restaurant line and that far worse things have been said back there, even by James. It wasn't until after he learned that he could make a fair amount of cash that he decided that my manager had said something hurtful.


I asked him if I'd called him a pervert if he'd still call an attorney. "No," he said, "I just don't like him. He's not a good manager." Then I called him a baby. A pervert baby. Just because you don't like a guy doesn't mean you should try to have him fired. Plus, having to work with somebody you don't like doesn't mean the world owes you $100,000. If it did, I'd be $100,000 richer, because I must work with James.


If I spill a McDonald's coffee on my lap, I'll slap my forehead and say "aww shucks." Recently, my workplace had to purchase a new pair of clothes for a customer because she spilled a pot pie. Again, that's an "aww shucks" moment, not a "dial up an attorney" moment. Some folks really get on my nerves, but what can I do? Just keep my mouth shut and hope to one day be self-employed so I don't have to deal with coworkers and customers.

7 Comments:

At 5:07 PM, Blogger Erik Donald France said...

Here's to that -- self-employment, of the lucrative variety, of course.

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

There are a lot of people out there who sue for just enough money so it's better for the defendant to settle rather than spend a ton of money going to court.

Stupid perverts.

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger mist1 said...

If I had $100,000 for every time someone called me a pervert, I'd be rich.

 
At 1:35 AM, Blogger ShadowFalcon said...

I hate the idea that someone can break into your house and try and sue you for an injury they received whilst robbing you. This suing business has gone too far for common sense....

 
At 5:27 AM, Blogger ZZZZZZZ said...

OH MY GOD! CLERKS AND CLERKS 2 ARE THE BEST MOVIES EVER!!!!!!!! EVER!!!!!!!!!!! My boyfriend is totally Randall, no shit.

Crazy nutbags sue for anything these days... and WIN! That is the problem folks... that is the problem. Damn lawyers.

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

I hate when people whine and cry. Pervert? Some people would consider that a compliment. The question I ask is: Why did the boss call him a pervert? What as he doing? Or was it totally unprovoked. Maybe the boss had Turrets?

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Bird on a Wire said...

Well, Stewart, our manager called him a pervert simply because "James" happens to "look like a pervert." "James" was only minding his own business. If somebody said that I looked like a pervert, big deal. I don't even know what perverts look like. Maybe my plastic glasses, messy hair, and 5 o'clock shadow give me away.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home