Dispatches from Suburbia

If I played an instrument, I would have a band called "The Simon Thomsen Sex Tape"; and other musings, rants, and disconnected ramblings.

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Weird Weather (or, Welcome to Albuquerque)


Usually I begin with a quote, but I think that the genius of Bill Watterson is plenty. Lots of wisdom in those comic strips.

The sun has returned and the snow is already melting. That's how things work around here: one day it's windy, frigid, and snowing or raining to no end, and the next the sun is out and Albuquerque is one big sauna. Yesterday, I was bundled up in a beanie, my coat, and a sweater, and today looks like I'll be in shorts and a Hawaiian shirt. Maybe I'll even sport a lei.

I remember one Sunday when I was much younger, I was with my grandmother on our weekly outing, and it was pouring. We were drenched, but it was very strange because, for some reason, there wasn't a cloud in the sky. It was sunny and warm, but with rain. I swear, I'm living in the twilight zone.

In any case, the snow was fun while it lasted. I had my one annual snowball fight, and now I'm greeted by slush, hard snow, and some icicles. When I was younger, I'd freeze snow in Ziploc baggies so I could continue the snowball fight in August. I meant to that this year, so I could surprise Kim this summer with a big ol' snowball in the back of the head. It's too late now, though, because slush doesn't freeze as well. I don't think she'd appreciate a concussion-inducing block of ice to the back of the head.

5 Comments:

At 11:35 AM, Blogger ZZZZZZZ said...

We get lots of weird weather in Michigan. There is an expression we folks use here. When someone is complaining about the weather we say, "It's Michigan, give it 5 minutes, it'll change." haha My boyfriend and I always think it's hilarious when it pours and there is not a single cloud in the sky. Golden rays of sun warming your skin, beautiful blue sky.... then you get you damn clothes soaking wet and squish squish squish all the way back home for a new pair. What the fuck! haha

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Erik Donald France said...

Sounds crazy and, Sheila's right about Michigan. . . Peoples still stranded from going to Colorado here. Raining still here. I left my umbrella in San Francisco :->

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

I love bad weather for the most part, but it's also good to put away the heavy clothes. Cute cartoon!

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger JR's Thumbprints said...

Hey, what's with all these comments from Michiganders? Are they envious of your Albuquerque snow? Here's to wishing you a Merry "Warm" Christmas!

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

I just wanted to pause here and wish you a Merry Christmas. Enjoy the season. I hope you have a great holiday and know peace and comaraderie.

I look forward to continued communication...blog on.

Stewart

 

Post a Comment

<< Home