Dispatches from Suburbia

If I played an instrument, I would have a band called "The Simon Thomsen Sex Tape"; and other musings, rants, and disconnected ramblings.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Dwelling on a Dark Note

Quote of the Day: "But even your company must complemen the Feng Shui."
-Gnarles Barkley, "Feng Shui"

The most surprising aspect of yesterday's incident at Virginia Tech is that this type of thing is no longer surprising. It's "another campus shooting." Besides, in a country so war-hungry, carrying such a "guns a-blazin'" attitude, why would this surprise. I'm very uncomfortable with the fact that I'm more or less deadened, numbed to violence. I was downtown the other night, and after last call I watched a man in the street get knocked unconscious. He was punched in the face and fell to the ground, his head making a sickening thud against the pavement. The group I was with and I reacted with a shrug as two police cars arrived at the scene. "I guess that's downtown for ya," one of us said, or something like that.

So I guess that's the state of affairs. Involvement in another war in the Middle East. Another racial dispute here at home. Another campus massacre.

On my way to UNM yesterday, just after I heard the news of the shooting, I witnessed a woman vomiting on a sidewalk, right next to a busy street. "I know how you feel," I thought. And I kept on driving.

3 Comments:

At 5:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HO sad that this is what it has come to. Every day, you hear that 30 or 40 Americans were killed in Iraq, and act as if we didn't here it. Now, there are 30 students dead, and we are even number. I was just saying yesterday that I feel like I have to do something, demonstrate, get my opinion out there. Any ideas?

 
At 5:11 AM, Blogger Erik Donald France said...

Dark notes are often the most effective ones. Good post, man.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger ZZZZZZZ said...

I can't believe this happened. If someone found dead bodies in the school shouldn't they have annouced it on the PA or something and put the school on lockdown before RAMBO wanna be shot it up? So many needless deaths. My deepest sympathies to the victims and their families.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home