Dispatches from Suburbia

If I played an instrument, I would have a band called "The Simon Thomsen Sex Tape"; and other musings, rants, and disconnected ramblings.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

I Must be a Zombie Movie Zombie


Quote of the Day: " When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."
-Dawn of the Dead

I have a growing obsession with zombie films. At first, I thought George Romero's Dawn of the Dead was one of the stupidest movies I'd ever seen. But lately I've been thinking about its critique of consumer culture--zombies milling around a mall, "survivors" insulating themselves from the outside world with material objects, and I'm realizing that I should have originally taken the film on a more satirical level.

The other night I watched Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later. While not as smart as Dawn, Boyle's is worth noting if only for the image of "zombies" congregating in a church. What a compelling idea.

What is with this new obsession? It probably has something to do with the following two factors:

1. Business has picked up at work; and
2. it's finals week.

So I've been very active working and putting together portfolios and writing papers and taking tests. And watching zombie movies.

I get little sleep and I keep hydrated with coffee (by the way, my recent attempt at cutting down my coffee intake is an official failure).

At work, I trudge through my duties (a la Shaun of the Dead, another clever movie) like one of those walking corpses, and I've got the same ugly disposition. I almost made one of the counter girls cry. Hey, at least I didn't tear her open and eat her shiny intestines.

But as of today the semester's over, and my attitudes improved. Now that I have time, I'll be renting the Evil Dead films and Army of Darkness. Sitting in front of my TV, I'll get sunken eyes and maybe even develop a disturbing pallor...

3 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god...

YOU CAN'T KEEP HYDRATED BY DRINKING COFFEE!

You're killing me, Smalls!

 
At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah...what she said about coffee!

Dawn of the Dead is one of my favorite watch-again-and-again movies. It ranks right up there with Tremors.

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger KPaffenroth said...

Did you say zombies?
I'm an author of zombie novels (especially interested in their allegory). And I was just at the Monroeville Mall two weeks ago.
If you like, check out my blog - GOTLD at blogspot dot com.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home