Dispatches from Suburbia

If I played an instrument, I would have a band called "The Simon Thomsen Sex Tape"; and other musings, rants, and disconnected ramblings.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Bummer

Quote of the Day: "But that joke isn't funny anymore
It's too close to home
And it's too near the bone."
-The Smiths, "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore"

I turned in one of my final term papers for the semester. So that's one paper down, two to go, followed by one last final exam. There's a light at the end of the tunnel.

So the semester is drawing to a close, and I'm ready to take a breather. In other, more morose news, an inoperable mass was found today on my uncle's liver.

This coming after the Virginia Tech shootings have hit me harder than I ever would have imagined that they could. It's been a very difficult week and a half, and for once I must admit that I'm having trouble dealing with it.

I'm don't feel that I belong to any particular religion, but I find myself turning to the Bible, a book that's best when it comes to portraying life as it is. Ecclesiastes especially, where it is made clear that things happen that we can't change, that we mustn't dwell on changing things we know we can't. It's a lesson that comes in terms that don't talk down to you, and that's the beauty of this controversial tome. Anyway, I like to think that I could do something for myself, for my uncle, and for my family dealing with uncertainty.

And here we are, waiting for more information, something more concrete from the doctors in Houston, where my uncle has been admitted. Sometimes, waiting is all you can do. Maybe that's an early step in this mourning process: realizing that sometimes waiting is the only available option.

4 Comments:

At 5:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Simon.

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was really sorry to hear the news about your uncle, Simon. We're thinking of all of you.

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Char said...

Simon,
I'm here for you brother. Hang in there.

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger ZZZZZZZ said...

sorry things are difficult for you right now. In time, hopefully things will be better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home