Dispatches from Suburbia

If I played an instrument, I would have a band called "The Simon Thomsen Sex Tape"; and other musings, rants, and disconnected ramblings.

Monday, April 23, 2007

Journal Neglect

Quote of the Day: "Everybody knows that youve been faithful
Ah give or take a night or two
Everybody knows youve been discreet
But there were so many people you just had to meet
Without your clothes."
-Leonard Cohen, "Everybody Knows"

About a month ago, I began carrying a journal everywhere with me. I use it to write down random overheard conversations, anecdotes, various thoughts and musings.

Yesterday, I failed to write in it. I felt like a terrible journaler. Then, when I went to school today, I accidentally left it in my car for the nine hours I was on campus. When I returned to my car I wrote, "4/23/07--I am a terrible journaler."

I remember in high school the kids that took the child-rearing course in which they had to carry around this doll that electronically monitored the "parents" treatment of it. I feel that my journal is like those dolls. There is a record of my neglect, just as the blank page from 4/22/07. I feel guilty, like I've let my child down, like I'd planned on taking it out for ice cream and then forgot. Okay, lame analogy, but you get my drift.

Now, I'll be keeping it with me no matter what. I don't need anymore of these reminders of how "non-writerly" I've been lately.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home