Dispatches from Suburbia

If I played an instrument, I would have a band called "The Simon Thomsen Sex Tape"; and other musings, rants, and disconnected ramblings.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

A Real Action Hero

Quote of the Day: "I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying."
-Oscar Wilde

When I was younger, I used to spend most of my time playing with G.I. Joes. My cousin and I would throw them from their plastic armored vehicles in immense fake explosions, imagining ourselves as the only surviving figurines (those that still had limbs remaining), as true action heroes, saving the world from the dark forces represented the Cobra Command. I think that I had this idea of growing up to be some kind of gun-wielding muscle man, dodging explosions and flying bullets to be the one true saving force of the country, or even the planet.

Now, I'm a line cook and a college student. This is how my life usually goes: I spend the day cooking at a restaurant and doing homework on my breaks. My routine rarely strays, except for today. At work we ran out of yogurt, bananas, and brown sugar, so I was asked to drive over to another location and pick up said items.

Since it was on the way, I decided that it wouldn't be so bad to stop by my parents' house. I felt like a total rebel, being on the clock and blatantly defiant as I visited my parents' home.

This was the high point of my day. That, my friends, is excitement for you.

3 Comments:

At 7:55 AM, Blogger Beth said...

I am still storing a box full of G.I. Joes for my eldest until he gets a place of his own.
And I would never toss it. My mother got rid of all my Barbie dolls without telling me. (Obviously a very traumatic experience in my life.)

 
At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simon-I think there is still a duffle bag of GI Joes and other action figures up in the attic. If you got up there, you might find them. ;-) Mom

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger mist1 said...

I used to have a little crush on one of my cousin's GI Joe figures. I don't remember which one. I wonder what he's doing now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home