Dispatches from Suburbia

If I played an instrument, I would have a band called "The Simon Thomsen Sex Tape"; and other musings, rants, and disconnected ramblings.

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Soundtracks of our lives


Quote of the Day: "I am the passenger
I stay under glass
I look through my window so bright
I see the stars come out tonight
I see the bright and hollow sky
Over the citys a rip in the sky
And everything looks good tonight
Singin la la la la la-la-la la"
-Iggy Pop, "The Passenger"

I love burning mix CDs. Maybe it's because I imagine my life as a film, and I like having a rockin' soundtrack, as if the music I listen to defines me as a person.

Iggy Pop's "The Passenger" tends to end up on several of my CDs, as does the Danger Mouse remix of Jay Z's "Encore." A friend of mine once got in a pretty pad car accident, and he remembers exactly what was playing on his stereo: Jimi Hendrix "Angel." I can just imagine what a surreal that moment must've been.

Some are taught to wear clean underwear to church, in case they pass out, fall over, and accidentally expose their underthings. I have a variation of the same idea: Keep good music in your car stereo. You never know when you may get in accident. God forbid the paramedics catch you blasting The Backstreet Boys.

In all your mix CDs, make you sure you have a good mix-and-match of awesome tunes, an awesome trail mix of jams. Recommended reading: Nick Hornby's High Fidelity. He knows what I'm saying.

2 Comments:

At 9:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That picture practically made me scream. Iggy Pop does that to me. He gives me the creeps. His music is fine, but ugh he needs to wear a shirt.

That's just me.

And I like mixing up the music, too ... keeps it more interesting.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Erik Donald France said...

I LOVE "The Passenger." Great song. The new Stooges album is out so I'll snap up a copy soon, The Weirdness. Supposed to be better live, though. Ever heard Siouxsie and the Banshees' cover?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home