Dispatches from Suburbia

If I played an instrument, I would have a band called "The Simon Thomsen Sex Tape"; and other musings, rants, and disconnected ramblings.

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Firestarter


Quote of the Day: "While, in dreams and hallucinations, representations appear in the guise of perceived reality, a real perception takes place in cinema, if not an ordinary perception of reality."
-film theorist Jean-Louis Baudry, "The Apparatus"
(Now did this quote blow your fucking mind? Or are you scratching your head like I am?)


This weekend is the annual Fiery Foods Show. We made our pilgrimage there today, and we stopped at practically every booth to try the diabolically hot sauces, the spicy jellies, the barbecue sauces with a bite, the mustards that burn up to the back of the nose, and other flaming this 'n thats. My tongue is raw and my lips still burn, and I'm left wondering just why New Mexicans are so into this form of masochism.

It's almost like a wine tasting. We move from one booth to another, saying things like, "the garlic overpowers the other spices," or "the heat takes away the flavor." Except at this tasting there are paramedics on hand.

At one booth, a man in African garb offered me a strange liquid fromthat he said would boost my immune system. It took less than an ounce to sear my tastebuds and cauterize my throat.

4 Comments:

At 1:32 PM, Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

The food in the picture looks great and yes, the quote is mind-blowing!

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger mist1 said...

Always be wary of men in African garb, don't you know that by now? The last time I talked to a man in African garb, I think I agreed to marry him. My dad has never forgiven me for the wasted cattle that he traded the man.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

A hot sauce tasting? Up here in Minnesota we have a pickled fish tasting event. Only nobody ever shows up because pickled fish is horrible.

 
At 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear ol' dad put some of the African's hot sauce on his breakfast the other morning. He said all he had to add was just a drop and its hotness somehow made it way throughout the entire plate. I almost needed one of those paramedics...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home