Dispatches from Suburbia

If I played an instrument, I would have a band called "The Simon Thomsen Sex Tape"; and other musings, rants, and disconnected ramblings.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

See My Movie-film


Quote of the Day: "We support your war of terror."
-Borat

Last semester, my Bible as Literature professor began a class for apologizing for being unavailable the previous evening. Flushed, she rolled her eyes and, in her southern twang, said "I saw Borat last night, and it was some kind of funny."

She loved it. First of all, you must understand that this professor is a true scholar, somebody I would trust completely in guiding me through a book as complex as the Bible. And this scholar, this truly knowledgeable human being, is a fan of a movie in which a skinny mustachioed man and a huge bearded man wrestle each other, nude, even assuming a 69 position.

I finally watched Borat last night, and I must say that it was a deceptively simple critique of American society. Am I giving the film too much credit? Maybe. But I find it incredibly clever how the film's absurdities have been played alongside footage of unsuspecting interviewees, shocking footage of "real" people bearing it all to this strange little Kazakh.

Plus, you've gotta hand it to a guy (and the same goes for his costar) that would allow himself to engage in that wrestling match on camera. "My mustache still smells like testes," he says later in the film.

2 Comments:

At 9:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Smart people have a sense of humor, too. And though I haven't seen Borat yet (kid, ya know ...) I've heard that it is in fact a fairly intelligent film (in a sense).

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger ZZZZZZZ said...

My boyfriend saw it and he said it was ok. It had some funny parts in it but it wasn't all hilarious the whole way through the movie like they marketed it. I don't know... I haven't seen it yet. I have seen the bathing suit and DAMN! Shave! hahaha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home