Dispatches from Suburbia

If I played an instrument, I would have a band called "The Simon Thomsen Sex Tape"; and other musings, rants, and disconnected ramblings.

Monday, January 08, 2007

Choose Your Idol

"Little sister, don't you/
Do what your big sister done."
-"Little Sister"

I always write my blog before I upload the picture. I can't tell you how thrilled I am to have found this blasphemous illustration on the web. It just fit so perfectly.

Today, I asked my manager if we could close the restaurant early for Elvis's birthday.

"We closed to celebrate the birth of Christ," I explained.

He rolled his eyes. "Completely different thing," he said.

I still think I had a valid point. Most people I know have a better knowledge of Presley's songs than the New Testament. Plus, Jesus and Elvis led very similar lives. Both had legions of loyal followers and enemies. Both became more and more appreciated after their time, and both of them had very public deaths. I think many people are more aware of the day Elvis died rather than his birthday.

So they lived thousands of years apart, and so what if "All Shook Up" isn't a Bible verse, but I like to think that I had an OK argument. Or did I just not feel like being at work today?

7 Comments:

At 5:03 PM, Blogger mist1 said...

Elvis and my sister have the same birthday.

Elvis died on my birthday.

Also, I upload the photo before I write my post which has nothing to do with the Elvis trivia above.

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger Danny Tagalog said...

Lovely pic!

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Erik Donald France said...

All hail the Kings! And David Bowie, as Danny testifies via Tokyo.

The best little book on Elvis is a bio. by Bobby Ann Mason of "Shiloh" fame. The most demented homages to the King that I know of are: Mojo Nixon & Skid Roper's "Elvis is Everywhere" (goofy funny) and Nick Cave & the Bad Seed's mighty scary "Tupelo" ("dead firstborn" twin and all). I once saw the holy manger in which Elvis first slept near Tupelo, Miss.; and have bowed my head in prayer at his final Earthly resting place at Graceland, an American Mecca indeed ;)

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

The King of Kings....and THE KING.
Flip a coin. I love that picture by the way. There is another irreligious pic I found of Jesus as a working class stiff with a pack of cigarettes rolled into the sleeve of his t. Boss.

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger ZZZZZZZ said...

Elvis is the shit!!!

All shook up is awesome! My mom has me on tape singing hounddog when I was four... not my best singing experience! hehe

 
At 1:46 AM, Blogger ShadowFalcon said...

I agree, lets declare Elvis day!

(but then any excuse for a day off and I'm on board)

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Johnny Yen said...

And Jesus didn't bang Ann Margaret. Poor guy. He might have thought twice about going up on the cross after that.

Great picture. Love the Leonard Cohen song your nomme de plume is taken from.

I'm working on a blog post about a pilgrimage some friends and I took to Graceland in April of 1985. My friends and I are convinced that it created enough good mojo to end the cold war in the ensuing years.

As a teacher in Chicago, I get Casamir Pulaski Day off. God bless that man for dying in the Battle of Savannah so that a Chicago schoolteacher could have a day off over 200 years later.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home