Dispatches from Suburbia

If I played an instrument, I would have a band called "The Simon Thomsen Sex Tape"; and other musings, rants, and disconnected ramblings.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Constant Surveillance

Quote of the Day: "A ratio of failures is built into the process of writing. The wastebasket has evolved for a reason."
-Margaret Atwood

Once upon a time, even in our own lifetime's, not everybody had cell phones. Now, I think I'm the only person in the country without one. It's not that I can't afford it--I honestly don't want one.

One day, I'll probably have to break down and get one, when I actually am involved in things so important, like a real job, in which it is necessary to get a hold of me wherever I may be. But right now nothing's important enough that it can't wait until I get home and check my messages. I think a cell phone goes off everyday in every one of my classes. I've even heard one go off at a funeral.

What kind of sick desire compels people to give up every private moment they could possibly have? I think I'll hold off on getting my ankle bracelet.

7 Comments:

At 10:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I've got a cell phone. I hate it. And I love it. But not enough people call me for me to feel like it's a chain or something. Thank Goodness for a lack of popularity.

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Danny Tagalog said...

My sister and her family is the same. It's bizarre the way people's walking style's have altered to take in the mobile. It dehumanizes, and anything that is marketed so strongly just can't be good for you.

And it's a fact: you can be detected via it. But people who know this have already been hooked by the habit.

Good for you. Keep your humanity and don't fall in with this pathetic trend, which also will affect concentration.

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Danny Tagalog said...

My sister and her family is the same. It's bizarre the way people's walking style's have altered to take in the mobile. It dehumanizes, and anything that is marketed so strongly just can't be good for you.

And it's a fact: you can be detected via it. But people who know this have already been hooked by the habit.

Good for you. Keep your humanity and don't fall in with this pathetic trend, which also will affect concentration.

 
At 6:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you! I have a cell phone, and keep it in my purse turned off until my contract runs out in May. I just hate it. I am not that important that I have to have one and be in constant contact with the world. This morning, on my way to work at 6:00 a.m., there was a man at a bus stop on his cell phone! Can you believe it! I actually think you are the wave of the future. You know what else I absolutely hate? Those things sticking out of people's ears because it is now illegal to drive and talk on the phone at the same time. Please. NO ONE needs a cell phone that bad.

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger ZZZZZZZ said...

unfortunately I find I need a cell phone. I am often getting lost or my car thinks it would be funny to break down on me many miles from home. I laughed out loud when I saw the picture to your post because just last night I bought a new cell phone (mine is many years old and is a piece of pooh)and it is that same one! Except mine is blue...not silver.... I like blue. I think I'm going to put a superman sticker on it. hehe

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Erik Donald France said...

In defense of the mobile phone: 1) it's excellent as a device in writing / film. 2) you can use it completely to your advantage if you have a ruthless streak. 3) you can use it in such a way that no one needs to know where you actually are. 4) I never pick up unless I feel like it; like email, I can respond at will. 5) caller i.d. works to your advantage. To me, it's very useful. Landlines are like a ball and chain.

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I hate the cell phone too. My husband got me one because he says in case I have car trouble or something, I can call someone for help. I jokingly tell him that I think he just wants me to carry it so he can get a hold of me whenever he wants. I don't use it much except to answer calls from my husband or my kids. I'm not big on phones in general, cell or otherwise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home