Dispatches from Suburbia

If I played an instrument, I would have a band called "The Simon Thomsen Sex Tape"; and other musings, rants, and disconnected ramblings.

Monday, November 20, 2006

Smelling the roses (sometime between work and class)

"The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is."
-C.S. Lewis

Here in New Mexico, we don't respond to cold weather very well. We are desert dwellers, so now that November has come around, many of us prefer to stay in bed during these chilly mornings.

Since I have to get up at 4:30 a.m. for work, you can imagine that I am usually none too thrilled to get out of my warm bed and make my way over the cold, tiled kitchen floor to my coffee maker, let alone make the frigid journey out to my Blazer.

We New Mexicans are also known for our lack of driving skills. I always respond the same way to inept drivers. I scream through my teeth at their stupidity, wondering why they don't understand that a green light means go. But it's different on these cold early mornings.

I live my life in a blurry rush. I go to school, I work 35-40 hours a week, and I try to balance what little time is left over between girlfriend, family, writing, friends, and (of course) my blog. Despite living my life habitually rushing through meals, cramming for tests, making last-minute plans and getting very little sleep, I go to work in the mornings with the hope that I will hit at least a couple of red lights. They give me a moment to sip my coffee and turn down the radio so I can enjoy a fleeting moment of peace.

Yesterday on my way to work, I noticed two pairs of brake lights in the distance (at that time of the morning, it's still dark outside). Noticing that they were police, I made sure that I stayed near the speed limit. Then, a silver Celica went hauling past me and past the cops. Of course, the Celica was pulled over.

As I went puttering by, I wondered "What if that was me?" While this guy was in his car getting a simple speeding ticket, probably with his car's heater on full blast, I was on my way to the cold stainless steel of a restaurant kitchen.

I often worry about being late to work, and sometimes I find this anxiety to be a little ridiculous. Let's say I got pulled over. When I arrived at work, it really would not be that silly of an explanation if I approached my manager with, "Hey, I'm sorry. I got pulled over." Besides, I graduate in a year (hopefully), and at that point I can say goodbye to kitchen jobs. A little extra time to sit in my car for the price of a speeding ticket.

Today, on my way home from work, I found myself in a school zone. Instead of sighing with dismay, I noticed that ground had a fresh covering of vibrant yellow leaves. The school zone became a film's slow-motion sequence, where the protagonist (me) notices the world around him and somehow discovers infinite peace in 30 seconds.

For the first time in my life, and I can actually thank my hectic schedule for this, I'm enjoying life's delays. Maybe, just maybe, I'll someday discover a fondness for the cold.

8 Comments:

At 9:06 PM, Blogger mist1 said...

I have a friend who is always wishing for the weekend to come. One day, I told her that she is wishing away her days. I think that's tragic.

I try to enjoy the slow moments as much as I can. I feed my ducks. I play with my cat. I take a walk. I write. I try not to rush around. I might miss something.

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Erik Donald France said...

Thoughtful post. Check out Detroit for the cold :-> It's true, it's nice to get a break from multi-tasking-in-overdrive from time to time.

 
At 1:36 AM, Blogger ShadowFalcon said...

Its freezing in Britain for six months of the year. Enjoy the heat while you have it :-)

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Helen said...

I agree with shadowfalcon! Britain is freezing for most of the year round! I have however, spent so much of my life in the cold, that I have become immune to cold temperatures and just got on with it.
Thinking about it, a break would do me good! But where can I find the time?!

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Enlightening post. I am a big fan of living in the moment. So many things pass us by because we are in too much of a rush. I like to take things slow and enjoy the moment, well most of the time. This past week while I've been sick could have gone by in fast forward.

 
At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loѵеd as much as you ωill receive caггіed out гight herе.
The sketch is tastеful, your authοred subject matter ѕtylіsh.
nοnethеless, you cοmmand get bought an nervοusneѕs
οver that you wish bе delivering the following.
unwell unquestiοnably cοme more formerly аgаіn since exactly the same nearly vеrу often inside
case you shield thiѕ hike.

Also visіt my site :: utility trucks
Also visit my website ... used altec bucket trucks

 
At 6:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When training your pet dog, keep your desired goals and anticipations for your personal canine acceptable. The same as whenever you make an effort to learn something new, your puppy isn't likely to find out new techniques the 1st time you help them learn. Distinct dog breeds as well as various canines in the very same particular breed of dog, can have various quantities of receptivity toward education. [url=http://www.ss12w12ws.info]Philan4335d[/url]

 
At 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember that a prepared day time does not have being rigid. Program lessons ahead of time and stick to a plan. As well, be accommodating adequate that you can change your plans when needed. Unplanned area travels or unforeseen issues by using a course may possibly alter your strategies, and that's just fine. [url=http://www.ss12w12ws.info]Microecw2347[/url]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home