Dispatches from Suburbia

If I played an instrument, I would have a band called "The Simon Thomsen Sex Tape"; and other musings, rants, and disconnected ramblings.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Sibling Rivalry

"It snowed last year too: I made a snowman and my brother knocked it down and I knocked my brother down and then we had tea."
-Dylan Thomas

When I was little, my brother beat me up with softball. He's four years younger, but he managed to really kick my ass.

My friends and I love to torture each other. Because of this, my best friend likes to bring this story up way too often. "Remember that time," he'll say, "that Robbie threw you on the ground in the front yard?"

"Yeah, Brian, I remember," I'll respond in shame.

My humiliation doesn't stop him, though. In fact, it encourages him. "And he jumped on top of you," he'll continue, "and hit your head over and over with a softball?"

I don't know why I just opened an old wound, nor do I know why I chose to share this little story. My brother's a big guy. So he kicked my ass once. Big deal.

Robbie and I use to have bunk beds. Because I'm older, I got the top bunk. Once, he tried climbing up the side and I pushed him off and made him cry. I think this was sometime before the whole softball incident, so I guess I had it coming. Still, though I'm older now and shouldn't be concerned with something so petty, I find it a little embarrassing that my younger brother beat me up. ONCE.

3 Comments:

At 9:04 PM, Blogger Jo said...

You're a hoot. And a very good writer. I hope you go places with your life.

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger JR's Thumbprints said...

Perhaps you could send your brother a card with some hand-drawn roses on it and a softball with the following words: "I forgive you."

 
At 1:12 AM, Blogger ShadowFalcon said...

Hell I'm four years younger then my sister (she has a black belt) and I still kicked her ass (pre-black belt)...I could probably still take her but both of us preffer to remain out of hospital.

Let it go, you'll feel better

 

Post a Comment

<< Home