Dispatches from Suburbia

If I played an instrument, I would have a band called "The Simon Thomsen Sex Tape"; and other musings, rants, and disconnected ramblings.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Aw, Lordy, What's that Smell?!


"A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. "
-Oscar Wilde

I was in class yesterday, and I noticed a sour, stale, sweat-like smell emanating from God-knows-where. I decided it was the guy next to me, who sat there in his own little world, listening to the professor, or pondering life, or whatever. It doesn't matter. What matters is that it was a horrendous smell.

I considered saying something. It would embarrass him, yes, but if I stunk I'd certainly like to know. But I chickened out and, instead, I refrained from breathing.

Today, after I got up and brushed my teeth, I dressed and suddenly was overcome with that same sour smell. I thought to myself, "I'm a clean person, I wear deodorant, I brush, and I shower daily." Then, I realized what was going on, and I was horrified.

Last week, my washing machine stopped spinning. This means that, rather than throwing the soapy water off of our clothing as a washing machine is supposed to do, the machine let our clothes sit and soak until somebody rotated the laundry. So, that sour, mildewy smell was, in all probability, stale laundry water. Some of my clothes simply didn't make it through a cleaning in the new washing machine before being hung in my closet.

The whole ordeal has left me wondering this: how come none of my classmates told me?

6 Comments:

At 5:55 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I feel so bad for you. But seriously now, whatever made you change your mind about telling the guy next to you that he stunk really bad is probably the same reason that no one told you how bad you stunk that day. Or maybe they all had colds and couldn't smell you.

 
At 12:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear the laundry stink, I know that horrid smell. No one told you cos it happens to everyone at one point or other and we all hope that we manage to get home and change before someone points it out.

 
At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol...I would have said something...but.hey that's just me.

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger JR's Thumbprints said...

From the looks of it, you've developed a rash from your laundry detergent. Or is that a sunburn?

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger ZZZZZZZ said...

I wouldn't have told you only because I wouldn't want to be rude or anything saying "you smell" and hope that you would soon realize it and shower. haha

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Bird on a Wire said...

yeah that's one of my Mexico pictures. Definitely a sunburn, and a bad one at that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home